7.06.2004

A Free Citizen

You didn't think I'd fail to post about our National Birthday, did you? Well, here are a few thoughts about what the 4th of July means to me.

It is important to keep in mind that a country is not the same thing as a government. There have been people on this Land for a long time, and the "United States" only came into existence in A.D. 1776. Genuine love of one's country (patriotism) ought not be confused with jingoism or being a national supremacist.

One should also remember that the current Constitution was not written until 11 years or so after Independence.

All that said, I am proud to be a citizen of these united States, and I think we have the best system of government around. So it angers and saddens me terribly that our officials despotically ignore the rule of law and tyrannously usurp powers not rightfully theirs.

That is what I think about when I hear the cannons blast and see the fireworks blaze.

ADDITION: the myth of Republican Conservatism

No comments: