11.25.2004

Saddest Thanksgiving

I don't mean to bum you out or to sound ungrateful. But I imagine that the character of my thanks this year may be quite like the pilgrims' that first Thanksgiving. Almost everyone else was dead, yet there they were. It was harvest and they had made it through. Not much to show for their efforts except a thin survival.

The thing is, not having a list of "supererogative" blessings (for lack of a better term), I find my gratitude toward Christ and others profoundly deepend. But it is hard to speak about openly.

Appropriately, along with the feasting and other usual observances, I suggested the family watch Guy Maddin's The Saddest Music In The World. The film explores an array of human response to overwhelming grief. Alas, I don't think anyone else appreciated the off-beat dark comedy or expressionistic style.

No comments: